St George’s Gardens

Today the gardens are a quiet retreat against the backdrop of the city. St George’s Gardens is home to large plane trees, offering much shade during the Summer months, while the ivy-clad tombs and gravestones found throughout the gardens, provide its sense of history.

Originally meadowland, the site was acquired in 1713 to serve as the burial grounds for the new churches in the area, notably St George’s, Bloomsbury Way and St George the Martyr, Queen Square. These were the first church burial grounds in London not to be sited next to their churches.

The gardens restored in 2001, with the support of a Lottery grant, by the London Borough of Camden, now include a new sensory garden near the Chapel of Rest, created by the Friends of St George's Gardens.