Russell Square Gardens Cafe

Russell Square

Russell Square is the largest garden square in Bloomsbury and though owned by The Bedford Estates, it is leased to the London Borough of Camden. Named after the Duke of Bedford’s family name, Russell Square is a leafy public space, which is popular all year round with residents, workers and tourists visiting The British Museum and the other attractions that Bloomsbury has to offer.

The Square was completed in 1806 and in 2002. It was re-landscaped to follow the original 19th century design of landscape architect Humphry Repton. Repton was also commissioned by the 6th Duke of Bedford to remodel the gardens of the Duke’s ancestral home, Woburn Abbey. His original Red Book, detailing the designs, is still held at the Abbey today.

Since the restoration of the Square in 2002, Repton’s designs have come to life and Russell Square is now at the bustling heart of Bloomsbury, boasting a stylish award-winning modern cafe, popular with locals and visitors alike.

 

Back to Garden Squares

 

 

South side of Russell Square